05 August 2005

The Trip, part 2

So, where was I?

One week ago today, I was waking up in Washington state, on an island called Whidbey. There's something to be said for waking out of a restful sleep with a cold wet nose in your hand, followed by the rest of the dog bouncing on the bed wanting a tummy rub. Coupled with sunshine and singing birds, it's really hard to be beat. So, I'm not going to try.

After our s'mores debauchery of the night before, Cap and I recovered nicely to spend Friday wandering around the island and getting the house ready for guests coming the next week. While we had kind of planned to leave on Friday, as the day went on, we decided that we could make the run south to home in two days, thereby leaving us one day to enjoy things, and take our time. Which is exactly what we did.

We puttered around a little town called Langley, having a leisurely breakfast before letting me indulge my tourist bent a bit in the town. Shopping for some trinkets (imagine a t-shirt with two lobsters on it, proclaiming their plans for a road trip, and you'll know of what I speak), taking a look around things, and just generally hanging out. Once back home, we rested a bit. I read an interesting book that I would recommend, The Rule of Four, if you like historical, semi-true mysteries. While I have a bodice-ripper bent generally, just a lost romantic am I, books like this fill another spot in my heart... a good mystery that may or may not exist, and may or may not be solvable... I love those. Anyway, while I did that, Cap tried to get photos of a particular bird from the balcony. Now, I love Cap, with all of my heart and soul. But, I can only laugh when I think of how much that bird taunted her. Hours, and a couple hundred pictures later, she still had not seen his face. hehehe, just the white of his chest and under-wings. Oh, and a fine series of shots of him... err... preparing for flight, if you will. Lightening the load, I suppose? *grins* His mate was a bit more cooperative, but only a bit. I imagine they are still there today, sitting in the trees, laughing at the featherless, flightless creatures who just couldn't get enough of them.

The deer, on the other hand, were much more accommodating of our attempts at paparrazi-dom, posing a bit, pretending to ignore us as they ate the yard with the little younglings. Two fawns, still in spotted outfits, were a bit more wary, but as their dams didn't immediately run, they figured it was ok to hang around. Which was much appreciated by all of us that day.

As the day wore on, we started the task of cleaning up, loading the car, beginning laundry, dishes, then falling into bed exhausted. It was a very good day.

You'll find, I believe, that sometimes the best things are those little surprises that remind you of a simpler time in your life - a happy dog, laughing birds in a perfect blue sky, a naturally ripened fresh blackberry from a bush in your best friend's garden. When you think about it, does it get much better? I'll let you decide... :D

Stay tuned, gentle reader... there is more to come...

1 Comments:

Blogger David Malouf -- said...

Please forgive the unrelated comment here - if there is any possibility of knowing you better, please email at davidm777 at yahoo dot com. You replied on one of my posts; I still find it a bit awkward to have comment by those I don't know (although I love it, it's still awkward!). Your comment left me wanting to understand what you wrote better.

Thanks,
David

07 August, 2005 22:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home