19 July 2005

And another thing...

The game I play, SWG, is good fun. It's called a MMORPG, or massively multi-player online role-playing game. The best thing about it, to me, is the different folks I've gotten to meet since I've been playing, well over a year now. As I play with my beloved, most of my characters are also married to him, but not all of them. Which, whether we expect it to or not, seems to be a bit upsetting to at least one of us in the house.

As I was never into these sort of video games before I met my husband, one might expect it to be me. He has more experience with role-playing, knows the ins and out, whereas I was a total virgin in the MMORPG world. But, being true to my secret desire to be an actress, I've taken to it like a fish to water. I love the pretending, and all that comes with it. In there, it's not really me, but some version of me that is allowed to do things, and be things, that aren't always feasible out here in the real world. ,The beloved is... himself. Just a slightly different version of himself. And therein seems to lie the problem. Luckily, I have found, and snagged, a smart man who is actually willing to tell me when things are bothering him, rather than just acting out with no explanation, and expecting me to know what's wrong. Admittedly, he does still act out a bit, but when I ask why, he will tell me. So, when after some hemming and hawing, he says that he doesn't like my character doing this or that, and we figure out what this or that is, then I can change my behavior accordingly.

My wondering is this... how is it that one person can look at a pretend world and play it like it's pretend, while another person can look at a pretend world and play it like it's real? I mean, as much as it's fun and all, I have no secret desire to find any of the folks I play with and do naughty things with them. No matter what goes on in the game.

Well, ok... maybe one or two of them... but I SWEAR, I'm never EVER following through on those random thoughts. :D And since I never swear, you know I'm serious.

Now, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to meet them, hang out a while, and see what the operator behind the character I know in-game is like. I like to do that... especially since I've managed to meet folks from a good number of different countries that I would like to visit someday. There are folks that I consider friends in there, that I enjoy seeing every day, and that would be missed if they were to leave the game. Those are the ones I would love to meet. They also know my beloved... and are respectful of the relationship, and real life in general.

What does any of this have to do with anything whatsoever? Not a flippin' thing... but I just wanted to tell those folks (you know who you are) that I LOVE YOU!!! *laughs softly* Because that's the kind of girl I am...

If you learn nothing else about me, know this... I'm quick to accept and love, slow to anger, and I never forget. Does that matter? It all depends on your motives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home