01 August 2005

The Trip, Part 1

It begins, as many trips do, in the middle of the day. A flight into a new part of the country for me. I hate flying. Not because of the height, or the idea that I'm in a metal tube that theoretically shouldn't be able to get off the ground, being piloted by people I don't know, and therefore must trust to be at least proficient at their chosen jobs. I hate flying because no matter what I do, I always end up feeling ill at the end of the flight. And I'm stuck in a metal tube with a bunch of strangers, breathing recycled air. *shudders slightly*

Once we land, I'm struck yet again with the desire to kiss the carpet in the terminal, but I fight the urge successfully, and manage not to knock down the old ladies debarking in front of me in my rush for semi-solid land. Walking through the airport, I'm on the phone with Cap, trying not to get lost and looking around like the tourist I am. The Seattle-Tacoma airport is much like any other international airport, busy, confusing, and full of food and gift shops, and harried people trying to find the baggage claim areas, conveniently placed a mile (as the crow flies) from the terminals themselves. I manage to find her, we hug and laugh and head off.

On the drive to the island, I continue touristing, taking pictures of anything I can see out the windows of her spiffy car, including a few of her. There are trees everywhere. This is normal, of course, to anyone not living in the desert, but it feels a bit odd all the same somehow. San Diego, though it has its share of nature, it falls under a different category I think, as this place does. Green is the color of the day, and it makes me feel at home, like I was back in Wisconsin, just... not. We get to the ferry, and wait. Not a long wait, and the folks at the shop we stop at are accommodating to someone who wants a hot dog when they don't have hot dog buns. They take to the suggestion of using a burger bun easily, and the results were quite impressive. I have to say, those were some of the best french fries I've had in a long time, too.

On the ferry, we're packed in somewhat like metal sardines, parked on one of the angle ramps pointed at the water. Both Cap and I pale a bit, then hop out of the vehicle and check out the view. Amazing. From the front of the boat, it was amazing. Water, trees, the sunset over the island, very impressive. From the back of the boat, I don't know. I took one look and nearly lost it. So, we decided that I must always look forward, never back. Sometimes those lessons we learn while fighting rising nausea are the most important ones. :D Anyway, the island life is its own kind of creature. Slower, a bit less hurried, a bit friendlier, all these things hold true. We got back to her place in time to see the house, and the families of deer using her lawn for food. Also met a bird who found great pleasure in taunting Cap every time she tried to take pictures of him, which she still did anyway. Nature presses in around every corner, but not in such a bad way really. I could see staying in a place like that. mmm, I've always been something of a small town girl, even here in SD, so there is that charm.

We built a fire, playing with our pyromaniacal tendencies in an allowed way, and made s'mores, which is always a good way to relax from traveling. I highly recommend it, even the chocolate dreams that come after. Went to bed about midnight, a smile on my face as I thought about the beloved and another, and didn't even dream about the sardine plane stuffed with crying babies.

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home